ROCKSTAR ENERGY HUSQVARNA FACTORY RACING RIDER SITS THIRD OVERALL AFTER SECOND RALLY STAGE
Andrew Short continues to impress at the 2019 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, posting the third fastest time on a tricky stage two of the rally. As the second rider to head into the 222-kilometre timed special, the American rider immediately set about chasing down the leader.
With only one set of tracks ahead of him in the sand, Andrew had to rely on his ever-increasing rally experience to navigate through the featureless Liwa desert. Ultimately catching the leading competitor 20 kilometres before the stage finish, the Husqvarna FR 450 Rally-mounted rider posted a stage time less than three minutes down on the day two winner. Despite incurring a one-minute speed penalty – his first ever in rally competition – Short still lies third in the provisional overall standings.
Totalling 520.66 kilometres, tomorrow’s stage includes a gruelling 297.97-kilometre timed special in the Liwa dunes of the United Arab Emirates.
Andrew Short: “Today’s stage was very similar to yesterday, but I was riding by myself for the majority of the day. I was able to use the tracks in the sand to my advantage and managed to keep to a good pace. It was a bit tough out there battling against the wind once again but I’m happy with how I rode. It seems I got my first speed penalty today since I started rally, which isn’t good. Hopefully as the days continue, I can push the tracks and gain more positions.”
2019 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge – Stage 2 Provisional Classification
1. Jose Ignacio Cornejo (Honda) 3:13:21
2. Joan Barreda (Honda) 3:15:04
3. Andrew Short (Husqvarna) 3:16:19
4. Luciano Benavides (KTM) 3:16:51
5. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 3:19:16
6. Mohammed Meshari Jaffar (KTM) 3:23:38 2019
2019 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge – Overall Provisional Classification After Stage 2
1. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 6:59:57
2. Jose Ignacio Cornejo (Honda) 7:00:48
3. Andrew Short (Husqvarna) 7:04:09
4. Luciano Benavides (KTM) 7:06:39
5. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 7:20:17
6. Mark Ackerman (Husqvarna) 7:47:49
Source: Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing